Saturday, April 24, 2010

children always need their parents

my brother is sick.. the flu or something... it's amazing how a stomach ache can reduce a sixteen year old the size of a linebacker to my little bubbie who still needs his mamone... (binky)...he is enjoying that my mom is taking care of him... that's what moms do.. they soothe us and care for us when we are sick....

it makes me think though.. there is a point (usually it starts at preteen) when we pull away from our parents... we express a need for independence and convince ourselves that we don't need anyone...only to realize too late that we do....

we take moms and dads for granted... especially dads.. dads are supposed to be strong... indestructible... when i was home with him during his last few months, i accidentally set off all of the smoke alarms...i ran around trying to find a ladder high enough to reach the ceiling.. i literally ripped the alarms from the ceiling one by one until it was finally quiet... i was in full panic attack mode... meanwhile my dad retreated outside to read a magazine and escape the noise.....i crumpled to the kitchen floor and sobbed.... it was a turning point for me...my indestructible dad who has always carried us could not help me....it was the first time in my entire life that he could not help me... and it hurt like hell... to know that he was probably feeling just as helpless watching me panic...

today i need my daddy just as much as i needed him that day.... and my heart breaks for that 16 year old linebacker sleeping away the flu.. who still needs his parents...both of them....

No comments:

Post a Comment